Guess I need to put this at the top!

Because some of us are listing books that we've never read before and don't really know what they are about but heard it through a grape vine that they were good, and someone on this club may have already read the book and found it very inappropriate, or have other opinions about it; this is going to be the new set RULE!
I'm going to do a rating system and I hope it works. If you have already read one of the books listed then you are welcome to make a COMMENT (not a post) about the book.

This is how I would like the comments to look....
"I have read (book name) and this is my rating for it...(ratng)"
That's ALL!!!

Rating system:
EP: Extremely Poor
P: Poor
O: Okay
G: Good
EG: Extremely Good
E: Excellent

Now if the rating is above okay, then at the end of the month that the book is in you may write a post or comment about the book and what you thought of it. Please keep thoughts of the book for the months that they have been chosen for!!! If there is something seriously wrong with a book that someone has suggested then PLEASE EMAIL me with that problem and I will contact that person and let them know.
I really hope this works out and that you guys can agree with what I'm doing.
Thank you!
Mele
October:
1st book: Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman & Nancy Freedman
2nd book: A Mothers Influence by Margaret D. Nadauld
3rd book: The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester.
I've only read Mrs. Mike but that was a very long time ago.

November:
1st book: Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
2nd book: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
3rd book: Out of Africa by Karen Von Blixen-Finecke

January:
1st book: The Secret Journal of Brett Colton by Kay Lynn Mangum
2nd book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3rd book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

February:
1st book: Beloved Emma:The Illistrated Life Story of Emma Smith by Lorie E. Woodland
2nd book: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
3rd book: The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

March:
1st book: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Mon Kidd
2nd book: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

April: (Katy gave me a discription of each of the books as well, but I couldn't fit it on here, so I created a post called Katy's Book. You're welcome to look at it.)
1st book: Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
2nd book: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
3rd book: Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

May:
1st book: "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger
2nd book: "The Undaunted" by Gerald F. Lund
3rd book: "A Fire in the Bones: William Tyndale, Martyr, Father of the English Bible", by Michael S. Wilcox


Friday, October 23, 2009

"Mrs. Mike" By Benedict and Nancy Freeman

Open Discussion for "Mrs. Mike"
I absolutely love this book, but I won't say anything on the post in case someone hasn't read it. If you're curious as to what I had to say then read the comments.
Mele

9 comments:

Cheney's said...

Such an inspiring story, even though it is fiction. Kathy was such a strong young woman. I couldn't even imagine the things that she had to go through and having to make the decissions that she made. Loosing my children is one of my biggest fears and for her to press on (even when she had her down moment) like the way she did is moving.
The Author's are amazing as well. They really helped you make each Character in the book seem like a real person. They made it possible for you to at least identify with one of the characters in the book.
This will alwasy be one of my favorite books.

Katy said...

I just finished Mrs. Mike and am on my way to speed read The Gurl Who Could Fly.

It's been such a long time since I've read this book that I was very anxious to read it again because I remembered that I'd liked it before. I remembered some parts of the book, and yet other parts stood out to me that didn't before. Here are some of them:

1) The rich Indian history told throughout the book. I would actually quallify this book as a Historical Fiction because of all the customs and culture differences described in the book. In fact, I actually enjoyed learning more about the Cree people than reading about Kathy and her amazing strength. I was interested in the word "klooch," and wonder if that same term is still used in that sense, or if society has broken the male dominance in a marriage. I love traditions on culture, but My heart went out, like Kathy's, to those women who just took it!!!

2) I was impressed by the journey from Boston to the northwest regions of Canada. The way it's described as wild and free gives a sense of longing for that kind of "peaceful living," but also the dangers were clearly expressed: bear attacks, wolves, traps, pandemic deaths, that leave me feeling very blessed to live where I am. I am NOT a mountain woman!!!! I HATE the cold.

3) Relating to Kathy. Even though I took more pleasure reading about the histories and the indian culture, I can relate to Kathy in more ways this reading through than before because I now have kids, I have a "mountain man" for a husband, and My heart has been roughened by the trials in my life. ALMOST every reaction Kathy made in the book is what I feel I would have done if it had happened to me. The only difference is that it would have taken me longer to make the canadian tundra my life and heart.

Overall, a good book. Sluggish in some parts, but I learned something new, and read it wih a different perspective than I thought I would. I am now more interested in the lives and lifestyle of the Indians during the 1900's. I wonder if these are the dorect decendants to the Nephites who travelled north?

Katy said...

Did anyone else kind of feel like Mike's character could have been more involved in the book? Perhaps it would have been too much of a love story if it was, but I can't help but feel like he should have been developed more. Dug a little deeper.

Hostetter Homeschool Academy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hostetter Homeschool Academy said...

I really enjoyed this book. I've read it quite a few times and I must say, it's been one of the ONLY books that I have ever cried in. Especially the part when her children die. I do agree with you Katy though, I would have liked to hear and know a little more about Mike. There were so many interesting things about the Indian culture, like the owl flying over the house means death, that I would have liked to know more about. I thought it was an amazing story and it's one of my favorites!

Marlene Miyasaki said...

I almost always cry at the end of this book! So much trial, affliction and death in the frozen north, but also much to be thankful for. I think it is interesting that the the lady who this book was written about moved to sunny California after her husband died. Maybe we can get too much of a good thing? Anyway, I always reading "Mrs. Mike" in spite of the flaws in the characters. They are so human that I can easily relate to them . mm

Unknown said...

so i must be the only one in the world who had never read this book before. i must confess im not done with it yet...i know im slow...but i have really enjoyed it so far.
a lot of you meantioned how you enjoyed all the indian aspects of it, i must say i really didnt. maybe im too much of a feminist (at least thats what my husband would say) but the way that those indian women were treated really bothered me and sometimes was really hard for me to read. i think the worst for me was the women and her sister who hid in the well during the fire with her son "timmy". it broke my heart that her "husband" was mad at her when i knew she did everything she could to save her son. it reminded me of a story from aarons mission.
there was a fire in one of the
major supermarkes (like a super walmart) and the owner told the guard at the door to lock it up and not let anyone out cuz he didnt want anything stolen. he also told all the cashiers that if they moved from their station they would be fired. they all died standing at their check stands. many of the women stuck their children in the frezer in hopes that they would survive but everyone inside died. i guess it really bothered me how these women were treated cuz i know even today there are still places in the world where human life is not treasured as it should be.
I love Kathy though, she is such an amazing character. i wish there was more about mike too. its like you know that kathy loves him with all her heart but its kind of hard to understand when you cant really get to know him better...plus there is NEVER such a thing as too much of a love story if you ask me. I relate to kathys strength and independance...i think it takes a strong women to live in the wild or be a military wife. i really looked up to her for her ability to cope with any situation that came to her.

Craner Family said...

Wow, Samantha! What a hard thing to witness!

I enjoyed reading your comment and am interested to hear what you think of the ending.

Cheney's said...

I've really enjoyed reading everyones comments and everything that you've said. You've helped me see a book from a different angle. :) I always thought I knew Mike, but the more I think about it...they really don't say a lot about him and his character. I agree with Samantha that it was hard for me to read about how the indian women were treated but at the same time I'm also amazed at how strong those women were. It would also be interesting to find out if they are decendants of the Nephits or Lamenites.